Summer is just starting we are seeing more variety of local fruit and vegetable available. So, what should you be eating and why does it make sense?
One of the easiest ways that we can reduce the cost of our food shopping is to eat the produce that is in season. Not only is this good for the wallet but also for the environment. This also has the added advantage that our food travels less miles.
In season and best to eat during the month of June are:
- Asparagus, always delicious with a little oil and salt cooked under the grill or on the BBQ.
- Peas, sweat and delicious straight out of the pod.
- Onions and garlic are coming into season.
- A variety of lettuce and salad leaves are available to go with fresh local tomatoes, radishes and carrots.
- For pudding we have the British Strawberry, Blueberry and Cherry all starting to make an appearance and all go beautifully with vanilla ice cream on a hot summer’s day.